QuickBooks error code 6189 816 is basically a run-time error that usually shows up when you try to open a company file. Encountering QuickBooks Error 6189 816, especially when accessing multi-user mode or attempting to open the company file, can be a perplexing situation. Despite the error message providing some details, understanding the underlying causes can remain challenging. When confronted with QuickBooks Error 6189 816, users typically receive a message stating, “An error occurred when QuickBooks tried to access the company file (-6189, -816).” In this guide, we will outline common triggers for this error, highlight key indicators, and present proven methods to effectively tackle QuickBooks Error 6189 816. Let’s delve into the details without delay.
What factors can lead to QuickBooks error 6189 and 816?
QuickBooks Error 6189 and 816 can stem from various factors. Here’s a concise overview of potential causes:
- Attempting to open a QuickBooks file already in use by another user on a different workstation.
- Downloading an invalid or corrupted QuickBooks software.
- Improper installation of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Insufficient read or write permissions when trying to access a folder or file.
- Incorrect entries in the Windows registry due to a flawed installation.
- Malware or virus attacks on QuickBooks files.
- Antivirus software blocking QuickBooks operations, leading to errors 6189 and 816.
- Discrepancies between the exchange log record (.TLG) and the QuickBooks organization file (.QBW).
- Other users logging into the file in single-user mode concurrently.
- Using an outdated or pirated version of Windows.
- Accidental deletion of crucial drivers responsible for the smooth functioning of QuickBooks software.
Signs and Symptoms of QuickBooks error 6189 and 816
There are a few signs and symptoms that can help you in identifying QuickBooks error 6189 and 816:
- One of the basic signs to spot the issue can be you will be unable to gain access to your company data file even after restarting the application.
- Another sign can be if the data loses connectivity with the QuickBooks program
- You can further come across a similar issue when opening the file in an updated version of QuickBooks, and the program suddenly shows an incorrect file.
- Identifying the same error becomes easy when you see delayed responses on clicking tabs.
- Or if the system or screen freezes or crashes on its own.
Methods to fix QuickBooks error 6189 and 816
You can try performing the below measures to get rid of QuickBooks error 6189 and 816. Let us evaluate each of the methods one by one:
Method 1: Fix installation issues with QuickBooks
The below steps can help you in fixing installation issues and ultimately get rid of QuickBooks error 6189 816. Let us have a look:
- Start by opening the QuickBooks tool hub or install it, if not installed already.
- The next step is to make use of the QuickBooks install diagnostic tool under the installation issues tab.
- Outdated system configurations might take a bit longer.
- Now, access the company file once more and check if the issue is rectified.
Method 2: Alter the filenames of .ND and .TLG files
Under this procedure, you can simply alter the filenames of .ND and .tlg files, as this can fix the issue up to a certain extent. The steps involved in here are:
- The first step is to move to the folder having the company file.
- Once done with that, search for files with the same name as the company files but stored with different extensions.
- You are then required to search for .ND and .TLG files
- After that, right click each file and click on rename.
- Add OLD at the end and click on the screen to save the file name.
- The user is then required to reopen QuickBooks and further sign in to your company file again.
- The QuickBooks error 6189 will now be fixed easily.
Method 3: Download and run the QuickBooks refresher tool
It is suggested to download and run the QuickBooks refresher tool on the system facing this issue. This process will close all background programs and fix the issue up to a certain extent. The steps involved in this procedure are as follows:
- Begin the process by downloading QuickBooks refresher and then install all files from it.
- You are then suggested to save the files to access them easily.
- Once done with that, check whether no other task is running on the QuickBooks desktop.
- Furthermore, you are required to check and close all versions of QuickBooks running on the system.
- And then, double-click the QBRefresher.exe file to run the program.
- Followed by, running the program.
- The QBRefresher runs in 30 seconds, and performs the onscreen instructions.
- The last step is to reopen the QuickBooks desktop when the installation is finished.
Method 4: Move your company files to a local hard drive
- Under this process, you need to move the company file to the local hard drive in case the error continues and in case the company file is stored on a removable drive or online.
- Or you can store QuickBooks files on the server system’s hard drive.
- However, online file hosting services like Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. might seem convenient but are prone to issues.
- Avoid storing the files on removable drives, as they aren’t designed in a way to run QuickBooks on multi-user networks.
- Another crucial thing is to avoid encrypting the QuickBooks files on the hard drive storing them, as it can block the multi-user network connection.
This issue specifically points to a multi-user network problem rather than a concern with the accounting data. Fortunately, resolving it is a straightforward process. Ensuring that QuickBooks file storage instructions are correctly configured is crucial. The error can be attributed to various reasons, and the potential solutions for each are explored above. Hopefully, the above segment might have answered all your queries related to QuickBooks error code 6189 and 816.