When preparing to upgrade your QuickBooks Desktop software, it’s important to understand the key differences between versions to select the best fit for your business needs and budget. While QuickBooks Pro is the most popular option for small businesses, higher-tier editions like Premier and Enterprise provide additional capabilities.
Here’s an overview comparing QuickBooks Pro, Premier, and Enterprise to guide your upgrade decision:
QuickBooks Pro is the best-selling Desktop version and provides core accounting features for managing small business finances.
- Basic invoicing and accounts receivable
- Expense and accounts payable tracking
- Inventory management
- Reconciling accounts
- Generating financial reports
- Managing sales tax
- Small businesses with simple accounting needs
- Service-based businesses without inventory
- Companies with 1-5 employees
- Manage growth in clients and transactions
- Support 10+ employees
- Add up to 3 users
- Starts at $299.95 for 1 user license
- Additional user licenses $299.95 per user
QuickBooks Premier provides everything in Pro plus more advanced reporting and industry-specific features.
Additional Key Features:
- Advanced inventory costing
- Job costing and tracking
- Project management tools
- Managing bills of materials
- Automated budgeting
- Customizable reporting
- Product-based businesses managing inventory
- Companies with 5-10 employees
- Firms needing job costing capabilities
- Scale accounting as your company grows
- Better inventory and project cost management
- Enhanced reporting insights
- Starts at $499.95 for 1 user license
- Additional Premier user licenses $399.95 per user
QuickBooks Enterprise is designed for larger, more complex businesses with advanced needs.
Additional Key Features:
- Advanced inventory with serial/batch tracking
- Visual data analysis and interactive reporting
- Automated sales orders and fulfillment
- Advanced pricing control
- Advanced purchase orders
- Custom user roles and enhanced access controls
- Larger companies or those with complex needs
- Businesses with 10+ employees
- Operations with multiple locations
- Unlock advanced accounting capabilities
- Get tailored reporting with custom fields
- Support larger team with more users
- Starts at $1,649.95 for 1 user license
- Additional Enterprise user licenses $1,099.95 per user
Choosing Your QuickBooks Upgrade
When determining which version to upgrade to, first consider the size of your business, number of users, and types of accounting features required. QuickBooks Pro works for most very small businesses, while Premier adds helpful inventory and job costing options for product companies. QuickBooks Enterprise is best suited for larger organizations needing advanced capabilities.
Review the unique features of each higher tier to decide if the additional capabilities warrant the increase in cost. For many growing companies, upgrading to QuickBooks Premier provides the best value for money. Ultimately, choose the version that aligns with your current and future accounting needs. Leverage free trials to test different versions when exploring your upgrade options.
Upgrading your QuickBooks version enables your business to access the latest features and better scale capabilities as your operations grow. Carefully comparing the Pro, Premier, and Enterprise editions will ensure you select the ideal upgrade to support your organization now and in the future.
Consider Support and Training Needs
Also factor in the type of QuickBooks support and training you may need when deciding on an upgrade. Higher tier Premier and Enterprise subscriptions include extra training resources and more technical support options that can benefit larger teams.
QBS Advisor upgrading your QuickBooks version enables your business to access the latest features and better scale capabilities as your operations grow. Carefully comparing the Pro, Premier, and Enterprise editions will ensure you select the ideal upgrade to support your organization now and in the future.
Carefully comparing QuickBooks versions Pro, Premier, and Enterprise based on your business needs and budget will ensure you select the optimal upgrade. Upgrading provides access to new capabilities that can streamline accounting workflows. With the right upgrade, you’ll get the best value from QuickBooks as your business scales.